I Still Have My Hearing!
I will first say that this post will have little to nothing to do with any knitting or craft projects of any kind...
So - Pam and I went out to 'The Sets' in Tempe twice this week to hear some live music. (See Pam's blog for a hilariously accurate description of the events. She said it all!) And a couple of things occurred to me. It has been a couple of years since I've been out to see some live bands play and I really missed it. The coffee shop that I frequent has an open mic night every Thursday, and I catch it every once in a while, but 'guy with guitar' is a lot different than '4 + guys jumping up and down and playing really fast'. It's so exciting! I love it. The show we went to on Saturday was all local bands, and they really rocked! But the audience was so small. It was Saturday night--where was everybody? And another thing... people that are watching the bands just stand there and watch. No dancing or even bobbing up and down. When did it become a bad thing to show you are enjoying the music by moving around? How do the guys on stage know if they're rocking. Are they too cool to care?
Tuesday night's show was a mix of local and national and even international acts. Again, everyone was really enjoyable. There was some 'mock' dancing going on, in the style of Napoleon Dynamite, but little else. The band Razorlight, from the UK was there. They have been getting a lot of buzz as being one of the up and coming bands. I found this out today. Before last night, I had no knowledge of the band at all. They did have a 'big fish' attitude for the size of the venue. The lead guy was little bit of Mick Jagger in the looks department, a little bit of Bono in the attitude department with a splash of Iggy Pop. It was one of the highest energy shows I've seen. And the band was tight. And yet, very little audience recognition. The Dresden Dolls followed Razorlight. I want to compare them to the White Stripes because they are both 2 piece bands that produce a big sound, even though the sounds are completely different. Most of the songs were Piano and Drums. And the drums would often take the lead over the piano. I'm not used to that but it sounded great. I'm just wondering if I am to 'unhip' to understand why people don't dance or bob up and down anymore or if it's a regional thing. I grew up in Detroit and did most of my bar-hopping and band-worshipping there. Maybe the culture is just different. I'm going to keep on exploring this local music scene to see what I can find out. If anyone wants to join in, let me know.
Posted by Mel at 10:19 PM
