Gnome-Man's Land

Does this photo make you want to burst into a showtune? No? It's just me then? OK.
"Would you like to swing on a Star?..."
This Swedish-inspired gnome was knit from a pattern in the insert of the December issue of "Simply Knitting". And he's just reaching out to all of you for a huge gnome-y hug!
Yarns Used: Dale of Norway Baby Ull, and Lion Brand Fun Fur.
There are several pieces that are knit separately. Sewing them altogether may have taken as much time as knitting the pieces. But neither took to long. I love the softness of the Baby Ull yarn. It's "Bean Bag" butt has been replaced by synthetic pearls, mostly because it was after 9pm when I got a bean up my butt that I needed to get the stuffings for this project and waiting another day just would not do. Thank goodness that Big Lots was open late for the holiday shoppers. I went in looking for little stuffed animals that could be harvested for their beans. I mean the thought of gutting a stuffed animal didn't really appeal to me, but what could do? I was obsessed! Lucky for those animals -- I got 2 bags of "pearls" in the scrapbooking area of the store for 33 cents a piece. And a package of organza circles (the pattern called for muslin) to put the beads in.
I was sort of proud of myself. I know it doesn't qualify as a MacGuyver sort of maneuver, yet I improvised. I'm really happy with the way my little friend turned out. I have enough yarn left to make at least one or two more. And knitting toys is Fun (notice the capital F). I may be in a toy rut... I'm currently working on another Baby Bobbie Bear.
Posted by Mel at 12:16 PM
