Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Odds and Ends

I finished another pair of Twinkletoes and again forgot to take a picture before sending them on their way... But I just remembered that I never posted a picture of this...

He's 'Odd Fellow', a pattern from Jess Hutchison. I used some sort of jewelry spring/crimp thing for his eyes. I don't even know what they are. I just had them in my stash somewhere and I figured it was ok to use them as eyes, since he's supposed to be odd. They're only sort of creepy because they don't point in the same direction, always. This was a gift for Lily on her 10th birthday. Happy birthday to one of the coolest people I know. PS. Thanks for the great drawings and the Origami Leapfrog, Lil!

I'm blogging at home as I wait for my dentist's office to open. I'm a little pissed that they don't open until 11 AM on Wednesdays. Unfortunately, this is the day the delicate balance of dental work in my mouth decided to take a turn for the worse. It's a cosmetic thing. I look like Shane McGowan right now and while that look might work for him, it doesn't work for me. I'm definitely not leaving the house until the Dentist opens.... Ok, I guess it's time to let the anger go. Nothing I can do until the dentist opens...

On a better day, I got to see the most amazing live music the other day. A fellow SnB'er (and Ted Leo evangelist) shared her love for the band with me and Pam by letting us listen to some of her CD's. She strongly encouraged us to come see him live. Even though it was a Monday night, I decided to go and man! I am so glad I did. The opening band was ok in a grungy, Sonic Youth meets the Breeders kind of way. I though they were alright, until Ted and friends came on. Within 5 seconds, they blew them away. How this guy and his band are not better known, I have no idea, but in a selfish way, I'm glad. Because if they were more popular, there's no way I would have been able to see the stage. For once, there was not a tall person blocking my view (yay!). And the music. So.high.energy! I hear punk and pop influences and some ska and psychedelic elements blended in at times. I danced in place the whole time. No mosh pits broke out and only one girl was dancing wildly and almost knocked us backward while vigorously shaking her booty and making her cleavage jiggle. And I only got a little less sleep than usual and wasn't too tired at work the next day. Totally worth it! If you are a fan of music and haven't already done so, I encourage you to check out Ted Leo and the Pharmacists when they come to your town. (The evangelism is catchy!)

Posted by Mel at 8:58 AM

|