Today in History
Eighteen Years ago today...

My nephew was born. The first grandchild. The first boy in our immediate family. The golden one! I was away at college when he was born, but I remember the first time I got to come home and hold him. I thought babies were (I'm embarrassed to say this) silly and cliche. Who would want a baby? It took about 5 seconds for that little guy to win me over. I then loved babies, and especially him. I wish I had some real digital pictures to go along with my mushiness, but I don't. (Just picture me, but 99% smaller and no wrinkles.) I remember when he was about 2, he and my sister were living with my parents and he would sit on the porch and cry if his mom left him at home when she was out on a date or with friends. Last night, he left a note on the kitchen counter for my sister to find this morning. Something to the effect of "Dear Mom, I will not be going to school today because it is my birthday. Love your 18 year old "Adult" son. Oh how fast 'adulthood' goes to our heads! This evening my BIL left him a note in the kitchen saying "Dear R, Please clean your dirty dishes, as you are now an adult. Love, your 46 year old Father".
Happy birthday, little buddy! Watching you and your sisters grow up is one of the things I miss most about living near my family.
PS. In case anyone was wondering -- yes, this is still a knitting blog. I happen to be creating a felted wonder when I ran out of yarn and had to put it aside until I can get back to the Fiber Factory. I'm also swatching and attempting a sweater with all that yarn I bought for the baby gift, plus some other stash yarn, plus the yarn I had to buy to make up the difference between stash and what the pattern called for...
Posted by Mel at 8:07 PM
