Tuesday, April 12, 2005

I'm Calling it Destiny

I've had a bee in my bonnet since I started knitting to make this teddy bear that appears in the ads for Blue Sky Alpacas. Through my obsession, I found out that the pattern is called 'Bobbi Bear' (named after it's designer). Exercising what I would consider to be great discipline, I kept 'not' ordering the pattern and yarn because my list of project ideas is pretty long and I don't really NEED a teddy bear for myself. You can't really make one of these for a child in your circle and NOT make one for all children in your circle and this pattern uses something like 7 skeins of bulky yarn. Heck, you can't really afford to make one for every child! But still, like a catchy tune, I could not get this bear out of my mind. What happened next, I will call destiny... Illanna bought a kit to make one and then decided that she would not get too knitting it up in the near future. That's a lot of yarn to be sitting around, so you know what she did? She decided to sell the pattern and yarn to someone. She remembered that I'd been talking about the pattern and offered to sell it to me. She even threw in some homemade stitch markers to sweeten the deal. That's what I call customer service! How could I pass it up? I'm just meant to make this bear. (Thanks, Illanna!) Here's the kit!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The pattern calls for #17 circular (24-inch) and double points, so I'll be taking a trip over to the Yarn Store this weekend to pick some up. Unless someone out there has some I can borrow ;-)
I'm looking forward to getting started on it.

In other yarn news, while looking for needles at Craftmart last night I decided to find some substitute yarn for the Berroco Hush that I can't find anywhere within driving distance. Yes, I could order it online, but I only need 1 skein. Doesn't seem worth the effort. I have no idea what the stuff looks like in person, but I found something that looked like what I imagined.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Eva, bless her, made a trip to LA this weekend and did a little hunting around the yarn shops for Hush, but could only find 'Plush'. She picked up a couple of skeins, and even though it wasn't right for the 'Hush' project, it's really soft and pretty, so I think I'm going to keep it anyway and make something for one of the crop of new babies coming into my life. So, I must have been meant to have some of this yarn, too! BTW,
I'm making a little bag with my Hush-sub yarn. It's based on a pattern on the Berroco site. The knitting part finishes up quickly (about 2 hours). Now I've got to sew it together and add the embellishments. Stay tuned for pics.

And, I hate to post all this stuff in one day, but who knows when I'll post again... So one last thing. I picked up a fabric flower kit at Joanne's and was able to get that project finished the other night. I made it to pin on the floppy hat that was completed last month. Here's how they match up.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And the flower was super-easy to make. Now that I know the pattern, I can put fabric roses on everything!!! (just kidding)

Posted by Mel at 11:27 PM

|