Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Peace on Earth

It's unusual for me to get wrapped up in politics and news stories, but this Terry Schiavo issue is really eating at me. I don't plan on facilitating a discussion on the matter. If you have had any contact with the outside world in the last 2 weeks, you probably know everything there is to know about the situation. Whatever the outcome, I hope both sides of her family can find peace with it. Probably it strikes a chord with me because I'm thinking about how I need to put something in writing regarding my wishes, should I be party to some unfortunate circumstance. Currently, I have expressed very little to anyone about what my choices would be. (Man, am I being a downer or what? I must quickly turn this post into a more upbeat read, or your going to stop reading, aren't you?)

I recently received the April/May issue of Bust Magazine. I was very pleased to see Amy Sedaris on the cover. She is so funny! I'm a big fan of a TV show called "Strangers With Candy" that used to run on Comedy Central. Amy played the main character, Gerri Blank, a 46 year old high-school dropout, going back to start over. They have made a movie that is a "Prequel" to the show and it is hopefully coming out in theaters in the fall. I heard it was shown at the Sundance festival this winter and from the posts on IMDB, it looks like people who like the TV show, thought the movie was good. It's always hit or miss when someone tries to make a tv show into a full length feature. But I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Also came across an article about this. I'm afraid that the irony of what the site is trying to say (with regard to sweatshops) is lost on the average person, but I am intrigued. (There I go getting political. I have to say that this is not like me. I'm usually quite apathetic.) Maybe I will make a border square for their Nike blanket.... And even if you don't agree with the politics, the KnitPro tool kicks ass! I can't wait to use it in my next intarsia project.

Speaking of knitting, I'm about 1/5 of the way through the baby blanket. Still meditating on what supplemental project to start. One thing is for sure - I'll be using a natural fiber. Thanks to Illanna for suggesting that my finger abrasion might actually be an allergic reaction. It's quite possible that she's right. I am allergic to the strangest things.

Posted by Mel at 9:39 PM

|