Sunday, July 02, 2006

When D.I.Y. goes B.A.D.

Having an idea, creating a vision, executing a plan... Some of the fun and exciting parts of what we all do with our arts. The more I practice my creative hobbies, the more fun I have and the more I know that if I don't give myself time for this outlet in my life, I will feel out of balance. I say this because even though I am constantly having thoughts for new projects, be they crafting, knitting, or home improvement, I recognize that the vision is not always complete when the project begins. Toss that nugget in with a lack of experience and you can create quite the, uhhhhh, 'masterpiece'. Take this little gem as an example.

Why yes, that is a lamp constructed out of PVC piping. And yes -- I thought that a nice crackle-coat finish was the added touch to put this thing into the DIY hall of fame. Of course, it didn't take so well, and I ran out of paint so the rest of it is not crackle-coated. What you cannot see in that picture is this...

A base made from Quick-crete and formed into a cylindrical shape to look like a street light. It was later painted brown to try and obscure it's concrete-ness. And to keep the concrete from crumbling all over the floor, it is sitting on a plastic pot protector. You know those things you put under your plants to keep water from leaking out of the bottom of the pot onto the floor or whatever the plant may be sitting on?

I can't take all the credit for this work of "Art". Sometimes 2 heads are not better than one. And maybe some people are just not meant to conspire on things like lamps... When these 2 heads decided to go separate ways, the masterpiece stayed with me (lucky me). I have been hunting for a new lamp ever since then. And yesterday, a newer lamp came onto my radar while strolling through Terri's Consign & Design. And it was 60% off and there was no way I could turn it down. So, the old lamp has been pillaged for things that can be used in future DIY attempts and the rest of it is ready for the dump. That sucker is heavy (what with the humongous concrete base and all) so I'm going to have to get a couple of people over here to help lift it into the garbage can. And I am reminded that even though it was not the best thing I ever made, it served a purpose for many years. Most importantly, I am letting go of a piece of the past that I don't need anymore.

Feel free to make fun of this object in the comments. Now that its out of the house, I wonder how I held onto it for long.

Posted by Mel at 4:10 PM

|