Saturday, March 19, 2005

Has it Really Been that Long?

According to Blogger, it's been 10 days since my last post. Really?! Doesn't seem like that long... So you're probably wondering what happened to me. I'll try to keep it short, since I know your are all busy people who have many things to do (and possibly many blogs to read).

1. My friend Laura and her family came into Phoenix on business and stayed a few extra days for some vacation time. More on that later in this post.
2. They went back to New York on Monday. Monday night, I became very tired and feeling funky again. Tuesday morning I woke up sick as a dog. Slept all day. Couldn't even bring myself to join my knitting friends at Cupz. (That means I was really sick!)
3. Wednesday I ready to join the awake again. Attended a Stitch-n-Bitch meetup at night. Brooke and Kim have posted photographic proof of this event.
4. Thursday, my friend Crystal was celebrating her birthday by having a few friends over to her house. We played "Apples to Apples", a really fun card game, and Crystal and I had a little sing-a-long with me playing guitar and the 2 of us trying to carry a tune. I'm thinking if we practice a little bit, we might be able to sing in public someday...
5. Friday, met up with a few friends at the Pita Jungle for some dinner and knitting.
6. Current WIPs are a skinny scarf to coordinate with the floppy hat from last week, and the baby blanket for my sister's seedling. I'll post some progress pictures on that one soon.

That's the short version. If you're in for a long version, here's some pics and more detail about my adventures (skipping the sick days).

Laura and I have been friends since my Freshman year of college. I never understood back then what a great place college was to forge long lasting friendships. Now I realize that wherever I am, I am always looking for another 'Laura' to be my friend. Without going into a lot of detail, I'll just say that she is really special to me, and still one of my closest friends 19 years (wince) later. She recently gave birth to a little girl named Eleanor (Ella). This was my first opportunity to meet her. What a beautiful and well mannered baby!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Some of you know better than others what kind of changes a new baby can bring. Laura was really looking for some hardcore relaxation on this trip. Her husband, Chris, is so wonderful! He offered to watch the baby while we went off to the Spa to have a little pampering. I chose a reflexology treatment (which left me so relaxed I could barely walk a straight line afterwards!) and Laura had a body wrap. It was so nice. I think I'm going to have to try to incorporate this pampering into my life a little more often.

Chris wanted to get some golfing in. On Thursday his company sent him and 14 others to play at the TPC. On Saturday he played one of the courses at the Biltmore while Laura and I treated Ella to her first Tea. Laura is a freelance writer and has contributed Tearoom reviews to magazines in the past. I knew she'd be up for an Afternoon Tea and this is the kind of special occasion activity that I've been wanting to do for some time.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
We had a blast, and Laura is going to pitch an article on the tearoom. Always having knitting in the back of my mind, I got a few design inspirations from looking around the main lobby of the Biltmore. I feel an exciting intarsia project in my future.

Sunday, I navigated us over to the Phoenix Mtn Preserve, to show off what a great place we have to escape to in the middle of the city. We enjoyed all the beautiful wildflowers and blooming Ocotillo and of course the mighty Saguaro (I always feel like they are waving at us and welcoming us to their land).

It was so great to have visitors and I was really sad to see them go. But I think they had a good time and hopefully I will see them again soon. I need to get down to NYC anyway and hit up some of those yarn shops...

Posted by Mel at 1:25 PM

|