Friday, April 29, 2005

Someone has Tampered With My Crystal Ball

You can try to predict the future, my friends, but do so at your own risk.

Since this is a (sort of) knitting blog let me take a tangent here and say that I have made 0 progress on any projects today...

Today I awoke in anticipation of the Moonsplash event that I would attend in the evening. I had it all planned out. I planned on going to the show with a friend. Two bands from the 80's were playing - Dramarama and the English Beat. Now, the "Beat" were one of my very favorite bands when I was a teenager. As evidence, I pulled my old Jean jacket out of the closet today and afixed to the left chest pocket were 2 English Beat pins. (In case you were wondering, I left them on the jacket and did not wear them to the concert)

I was feeling nostalgic and felt that I HAD to go to this show because when I was in High School, I saved my lunch money so I could buy a ticket to an English Beat concert, only to find out that my family would be going out of town the weekend of the concert and there was no way I could go. I was so bummed out.
And Dramarama - for some reason, they were never on my radar. Heard their songs on the radio, but never had any desire to buy their records. The plan got all switched at the last minute.

My friend had a slight mishap and couldn't make it. I couldn't find anyone to take her place so I ended up going by myself. I missed my friend, and she is such a master of people watching, I'm sure that there were observations to be made that flew past me, but nonetheless, I have this to report.

Dramarama ROCKS! They have excellent stage presence and they play so well together. Not to mention their songs sound great and the lyrics are very clever. I am looking forward to attending their next show with my friend.

English Beat was pretty disappointing. Mostly because of a few things - 1. The only original member in the band was the lead singer. Everyone else was definitely new. 2. The English Beat was a Ska band. There was no horn section. There was no Saxaphone. In their place - a keyboard. 3. The banter coming from the stage was so corny, I thought I was watching a Vegas Lounge show. 4. The band sounded like they might have practiced together 10 times before doing the show. Maybe Dramarama set the bar high, but they just sounded sloppy to me.

Most embarassing moment of the night - I emerged from the porta-potty and saw the lead singer of Dramarama standing about 25 ft away talking to a fan. I'm walking and staring and wondering if I should tell him how great I thought the show was. As I'm debating, I trip on the curb and fall down in front of a very substantial bathroom line. I hear a few chuckles and a few gasps coming from that general direction, and decide that it's best if I just high-tail it to the other side of the venue where nobody saw what just happened. I share this with you because I think it's funny. I hope you do too.

Posted by Mel at 11:35 PM

|